Mix-Ups Mark Beginning of New Term

Shopping Students Crowd Classrooms

Lecture halls overflowed yesterday as many students failed even to gain access to the classrooms of several popular courses.

"I could smell a gut when I saw it--but unfortunately so could hundreds of others," R. Russell Meyer '77, a prospective student in English 175, "American Novels of the Twenties and Thirties," said yesterday.

Harry T. Levin '33, Babbit Professor of Comparative Literature, said yesterday he plans to move the course to Burr B to accommodate the unexpected crush.

Fine Arts 171r "European and American Art of the Last 100 Years" was "jammed to the gills" John P. Relman '79 said yesterday. Jean S. Boggs, professor of Fine Arts, said yesterday that although she expected only 100 students, over 375 people showed up.

The crowd forced Boggs to move the class to Fogg Norton Lecture Hall.

Many professors announced yesterday they will change rooms to accommodate the overflow, but Frank B. Freidel, Warren Professor of American History, simply spent the first lecture of History 1613, "American Political History Since 1970," talking about the jammed Sever 11 classroom where he plans to continue teaching.

Bernard D. Davis '36, Lehman Professor of Bacterial Physiology, abandoned his plans to restrict Nat Sci 37, "Evolution, Genetics and Society," to 75 students after 240 people streamed into Burr "A." Davis said yesterday he will try to shift the course to a later time, when more teaching assistants will be available