B.U.'s 'Exposure' Magazine Regains Half of its Funding

By Erik J. Dahl

The Boston University Student Union began publishing Exposure, its tri-weekly newsletter, again last week after a student faculty committee restored funds that the university withheld from it last December.

Robert Chernak, assistant to the vice president for academic services, said yesterday he withheld the newsletter's funds over winter vacation because Exposure had not provided as much information about student activities as its organizers promised when the funds were granted last September.

Money, Money

But the Student Activities Allocation Board voted last January 26 to allow the newsletter to use half of its $2400 budget, with the remainder available if the paper presents more information about student activities instead of editorializing, Chernak said.

Chernak added that he did not withhold the money because Exposure had criticized B.U. President John R. Silber, as reported in The Crimson and The Boston Globe.

Stewart B. Randall, treasurer of the Student Union, said yesterday the Exposure staff is now planning to devote more space to student affairs.

Exposure's next issue, which will come out in two weeks, will contain a full page devoted to school activities and more articles of general interest to students, Randall said.

But Randall added that because the newsletter is still subject to further review by the allocation board, Exposure is "kind of being held in limbo until the next issue."

Exposure was first published last spring, and receives university funds in order to provide the Student Union with a means of publicizing school events that is cheaper than advertisements in B.U.'s regular daily newspaper, Chernak said.

Chernak placed the funds in escrow after allocation board members complained that the newsletter devoted too much space to editorial comment.

"They had said they would promote school activities, and they didn't do that," Chernak said.

Randall said the Student Union had raised enough money to publish the paper without University funds, but admitted that B.U. "could ban it if they wanted to."

Randall added that the newsletter staff received offers of support from the student governments of several universities, including an offer of $1000 from University of Michigan students.