'Cliffe Hoopsters Cut Jumbos to Size, 85-36

Year's Biggest Win Closes Out Women's Home Season

By Erik J. Dahl

A fired-up Harvard women's basketball squad romped over the Jumbos of Tufts last night, 85-36, in its final appearance this season at the IAB.

After leading the women throughout the first half, freshmen Caryn Curry and Ellen Hart sparked the Crimson to blow the second half wide open. The Harvard women outscored the Jumbos, 43-13, at one point running off a 16 point spurt.

All for One

By the time it was over, every Harvard player had scored, led by Curry with 16 and Hart with 12, which included a perfect five for five from the field.

The game was the last in a Harvard uniform for senior Susan Williams, who was all over the court in the first half, leading the Crimson to an early 16-10 lead.

Sparked by persistent thefts by Williams and Curry, the Crimson steadily increased its lead to 34-16. Only hot foul shooting by Maureen Shea and Linda Toney kept Tufts in the game, and held the score down to 42-23 at the half.

The Crimson came out early for the second half to face a tougher shooting Tufts squad, which fought back to within 15 points at 45-30.

Harvard slowed play down and kept the Jumbos at bay until a time-out, when coach Carol Anne Kleinfelder put on a press--and from then on, the Crimson cagers controlled the game.

After a series of quick steals by the Crimson, Tufts began missing passes and tip-ins, and it was all over but for the buzzer.

"It was a great game to go out on," Williams said afterward. "Everyone contributed--that's the kind of game we play," she added.

The Crimson finished its season at 16-3, up from 9-10 last year. Team captain Katherine Fulton attributed much of this year's improvement to coach Kleinfelder, who came to the squad this season.

After the team treated her to a full-dressed post-game shower, Kleinfelder could only reflect, "We need stiffer competition."

Thursday the team will face Southeastern Massachusetts at Bentley College in the first round of the state championships.