Icemen Face Dartmouth

Sports Roundup

Harvard hockey plays the final home game of its cardiac season tonight against a strangely mediocre team from Dartmouth. The Crimson icemen currently stand sixth in the E.C.A.C. with an 11-9 slate against Division One opponents.

Things have not gone quite as smoothly in Hanover, though. The Woodsmen, who last season cruised easily into the E.C.A.C. playoffs, are desperately looking for a finishing kick to propel them into the top eight by this season's end. The guys in green are currently at 10-11-1.

Harvard handed Dartmouth one of its 11 losses in Hanover last January 13. Sparked by two third period goals, the Crimson felled the Woodsmen 3-2.

Six and a half weeks later, Dartmouth rides into Cambridge on the wings of a four-game winning streak, featuring an inspiring 8-5 triumph over Brown last Saturday.

Billy Cleary and his boys realize that Dartmouth is no pushover. Led by All-Ivy candidates Kevin Johnson and Ron Dove, and the excitingly erratic Jeff Sollows in the cage, the Crimson are in for a critical test. Why critical? Because a win tonight and one at Yale on Saturday would keep Harvard in sixth place and give them a good chance to face old Beanpot Buddy B.U. in the first round of the post-season playoffs.

Waldman Victor

Harvard tennis star Dan Waldman chalked up some impressive pre-season honors for himself on Sunday. Waldman beat a highly competitive field at the Princeton Invitational Tennis Tournament to take the singles title.

Waldman, the number eight seed in the tourney, defeated South Carolina's Chris Mayatte, the number three seed and last year the number one amateur in the country (21 and under), 6-4, 7-5, to take the title.

Acosta Finishes Fourth

Harvard's Danny Acosta shocked the collegiate handball world last weekend in Chattanooga, Tennessee, as the sophomore from EI Paso walked away with fourth place at the NCAA handball tourney.

Acosta, unseeded at the outset of the tournament, upset the number four and five seeds before losing to top-ranked Joe Thomas of Texas in the semi-finals.