At Last, the End

By Roger M. Klein

The storm of controversy the Fox plan generated when Dean Fox first proposed it months ago has yet to subside, even though Dean Rosovsky approved its immediate implementation Thursday.

The plan, which will abolish four-year Houses at the Quad and house all freshmen in the Yard, increases the chances that this year's freshmen will be assigned to a Quad House.

"If I was an administrator and I had not chance of living at the Quad myself, I think I'd be in favor of the Fox plan. But as it is, I'm against it," Paul W. Stackhouse '80, said yesterday.

Most other freshmen contacted yesterday said they favored the Fox plan in principle, but were opposed to its implementation this year.

"I guess I'm being selfish, but I just don't want to live up at the Quad, and the plan makes it more likely that I'll live there, Ann W. Oppenlander '80 said yesterday, adding that "It's too removed and too quiet."

Two hundred and thirty-four freshmen now live at the Quad, but in a move designed to improve the Quad's attractiveness, Rosovsky decided to reduce the total number of students living at the Quad.

By means of temporary increase in the number of sophomores assigned to the River Houses, significantly fewer sophomores will be assigned to the Quad next year than the 234 places that will open up.

"I hope that it will be possible to have no more than 50 more sophomores living at the Quad next year than would otherwise have been the case, but that number is not firm," Ann B. Spence, assistant to the dean for Housing, said yesterday.

Because there are more freshmen now living at the Quad than there are upperclassmen living in the Yard, the plan will also increase the total number of students living in the Yard.

Spence estimated that between 40 and 60 more students will have to be housed in the Yard next year than reside there now. The additional students will probably be housed in Canaday and Wigglesworth Halls, she said.

Although men many Quad students and masters opposed the changeover to three-year Houses, the Fox plan was approved by almost every official University body that voted on it, including the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL), the House masters, the Administrative Board and the Undergraduate Council.

But not all of Rosovsky's decision was so predicted. In addition to abolishing the four-year Houses, Rosovsky announced an end to the enforced 1.5 to 1 male-to-female sex ratios at the Quad, establishing a 1.5 to 1 ratio in four of the 12 residential Houses instead. Rosovsky did not specify which Houses will have the equal ratio, however.

CHUL voted in January to recommend that Rosovsky maintain the 1.5 to 1 ratio at the Quad Houses.

Rosovsky also announced yesterday that he had approved several improvements to buildings that were discussed in the original Fox proposal.

These alterations include the construction of a new dining addition to the South House dining hall that can also be used as a theater in South House; the opening of a coffee shop in Hilles Library; the construction of new student and tutor suites at North House; the extension of the Hilles Library hours; and the opening of Currier House art and woodworking facilities to all Quad residents.

In addition, Rosovsky announced that the Social Studies department will move its faculty and tutorial offices into the basement of Hilles Library.

The opposition to the plan that began when Dean Fox first drew up the plan has continued despite Rosovsky's approval.

Last month, opponents of the plan distributed leaflets calling for students to send letters to the College Fund declaring their reluctance and in some cases, refusal to contribute to Harvard upon graduation should, the Fox plan be implemented.

Several Quad students contacted yesterday who sent the letters said they would keep to their promises.

One South House resident who wished to remain anonymous said yesterday he and his family would not donate money until further improvements were made in the Quad and four-year housing was reimplemented.

The plan will be thoroughly reviewed in five years and alternatives will be reconsidered, Rosovsky said.