Apology in Order

The Mail

To the Editors of the Crimson:

Martin Kilson should pause to consider the impact of his letters a bit more before reaching for his pen, for he has not only made a fool of himself but also done a great disservice to a large part of the University's student body.

First, he seems to show a complete misunderstanding of the problem of the so-called "Moonies." Their distribution of literature is fine, and I do not believe that anyone can rationally object to this constitutional exercise. What I do object to, and what I believe the Harvard administration objects to, is the Moonies' apparent brainwashing of my peers and possible ties with the South Korean Central Intelligence Agency (now under investigation by Congress). I do not feel that Harvard has the obligation Kilson implies to defend such activities. Indeed, support for brainwashing and the South Korean CIA area the real "anti-freedom pressures" (Kilson's own words), and not the desire to see the Moonies removed from Harvard.

Kilson compounds this situation by tossing religion into what should be a clearcut question of morality in University policy: he blames the debate on "some elements among Jews." Considering the widespread national publicity given the Moonies" actions in our leading newspapers, magazines, and television networks, I find his statement frightfully shortsighted.

Kilson, unfortunately, further confuses the issue by linking the problem of the Moonies with the recent debate between the H-R Black Students Association and the Lampoon. Here he does a real disservice to his fellow blacks, as well as offends the sensibilities of all members of the Harvard community. While there is not consensus regarding the offensiveness (or lack thereof) of the Lampoon's humor, I think most people certainly understand the HRBSA's concern and sensitivity to the subject. To equate the concern of the HRBSA with a group under investigation for brainwashing and cooperating with a foreign intelligence service is not only offensive, but, I might add, perhaps more offensive than the Lampoon's humor which sparked half of this controversy in the first place.

I hope Mr. Kilson will see fit to apologize to the Jews, blacks, and the Harvard community as a whole for his ill-thought-out remarks. Bill Nusbaum '76