Flurries Cool Spring Fever

By Laura E. Schanberg

Spring starts officially in two days and the Union served watermelon for lunch yesterday, but the Boston area is in the throes of a snowstorm and may receive more snow Sunday, according to the National Weather Service.

Three to six inches of snow are expected to accumulate before the snow changes to rain or sleet early Saturday morning, the weather service reported last night. There is a 30 per cent chance of precipitation Sunday.

Student reaction to the snow was mixed. Ransford Ronner '79 of Adams House, said yesterday he hopes the snow and freezing temperatures will continue.

"I might get to go ice-climbing again," he said. "Besides, I like to eat snow."

Bonnie Freid '80, a Grays resident, said yesterday the bad weather makes it a lot easier for her to study for midterm exams, but also "makes everybody a little more anxious to get home for vacation."

Crummy School

Most students did not take the sudden whitening of the scenery quite as positively. Mike J. Wolf '78, a Florida native, said yesterday, "I hate the snow. I want to transfer to Gainesville or Duke or anywhere in the South to get away from this horrible weather and this crummy school."

The snowfall solved a problem for Yvette Canley '78 of Mather House.

"I couldn't decide whether to go home to Arkansas for Easter, but this settles it," she said. "I guess I still haven't learned to deal with this weather."

Lisa Claudy '80 said she remembers eating a picnic lunch and throwing Frisbees in the Yard just a week ago. "I knew this would happen, but it's a bit of a shock anyway," she said.

Kathy Coakley '80 of Pennypacker said yesterday she was ambivalent about the storm. "The snow is all right," she said. "I just hope it stops by Easter break."

Howard D. Fisk, Jr., supervisor of Central Shops in Buildings and Grounds, said yesterday snow removal would proceed as usual. "We don't know how many men or how many machines it will take, since there is the possibility of additional snow Sunday," he said.

Day Off

Cambridge City Hall closed early yesterday because of the heavy snowfall. Snow removal officials for the city said yesterday the storm had not caught them unprepared despite the sudden weather change.

The last snowfall of the winter season dampened spirits as well as clothes. As Paul R. Callahan '80 said, "I love it, but it's three months too late--or eight months too early."