Task Force on Concentrations Discusses Report With Faculty

By Gay Seidman

The Faculty heard most of the recommendations of the task force on concentrations yesterday, but because the more controversial recommendations have been reserved for future meetings, the Faculty did not discuss the report.

Elitism Not Discussed

Paul C. Martin, dean of the division of Applied Sciences and chairman of the task force, read the group's recommendations on tutorial programs, departmental counselling and the structure of concentrations, but did not discuss the recommendation that limited concentrations open their enrollment.

Martin called the part of the report that he read "reassuring rather than pioneering," and the rest of the Faculty members--who asked no questions and made no comments about the recommendations--seemed to agree.

Dean Fox announced several changes in the terms of service for senior tutors designed to make the positions more attractive to faculty members holding teaching positions, including an increase in senior tutor's salaries.

Among the changes is the creation of a new title for the senior tutors, who have traditionally been called Allston Burr Senior Tutors.

They will now be "deans" of the Houses, because Fox said people in the outside world "seem to think [senior tutors] has something to do with remedial instruction."

However, Fox said he hopes senior tutors will retain the old title internally.