Baseballers Cut Jumbos to Size, 13-4

Squad Gains Eleventh Win

By Bill Scheft

What, me worry?

Loyal Park and his young baseball squad Alfred E. Newmanned its way to victory number 11 yesterday, belittling the Tufts Jumbos 13-4.

The Crimson scored its first run in the top of the second and never lost the lead. With one out, D.H.-turned-left-fielder Paul Halas walked, stole second, went to third on a passed ball, and scored when Charlie Santos-Buch handcuffed the Tufts shortstop with a grounder.

"We made the big plays when we had to all day," Park said, as his "kids," shook off four errors on the pavement-like Tufts diamond and came through in key spots all afternoon.

A classic example of this came in the home half of the fifth. Tufts had the bases loaded with one out and was threatening to fell Harvard's 6-3 lead when the Crimson pulled out the Hoover and turned over a 6-4-3 twin killing to quell the rally.

Tufts hurler Jeff Bertman, who beat Harvard 4-1 last year, realized that he wasn't dealing with Barry Cronin's crew this time. A dyslexic infield helped to force his departure in the eighth with the Crimson on top 9-4. Bertman had only four earned runs to his discredit.

Better Days

Larry Brown wasn't quite as unfortunate in his effort on the hill. The hard-throwing sophomore allowed just four hits for his second straight complete game victory. In addition, Brown fanned five and yielded two earned runs.

"These kids are explosive; they're always coming up with the big hit or the real fine execution when the situation calls for it," Park said. Yesterday he was especially refering to the clutch hits by Mark Bingham and Santos-Buch that drove in runs early.

Santos-Buch and Halas both drove in a pair of runs for the day, with the latter enjoying a 2-for-3 day at the dish. Mike Stenhouse and Dave Singleton both continued their torrid bat paces, as each went 3-for-5.

This afternoon it's off to Northeastern for another Greater Boston League tilt. Freshman Ron Stewart will try to equal his 11-strikeout performance of last week as he starts for the Crimson. A win would almost certainly propel Harvard into first place in the G.B.L.