Black Students Stage Weekend Stressing Unity

By Joan B. Mannick

In an effort to promote black student unity at Harvard, a group of black undergraduates is staging a program of activities illustrating black culture that will continue through this weekend.

The schedule includes a festival of black art today and tomorrow at the Afro-American Cultural Center, a lecture tonight on media stereotypes of black women, and two showings tonight of the film "The River Niger."

Hoop Game

The program will also feature a basketball tournament for black players at the IAB this afternoon and Sunday. The tilt will pit teams from the Business and Law Schools against two squads of undergraduates.

Harry J. Elam Jr. '78, one of the program's organizers, said yesterday he hopes it will "bring blacks together in another way besides academics."

The activities financed by President Bok's discretionary fund, provide n outlet for black students that Harvard does not usually provide, Peter I. Armstrong '76, another of the student organizers, said yesterday.

Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, said yesterday, "The weekend activities offer Harvard students of all races a chance to focus attention on the Afro-American experience."