'Cliffe Track Swamps Brown; Carle Stars in Field Slaughter

By Laura E. Schanberg

The Radcliffe track team giggled through breakfast at the Varsity Club Saturday morning, playing name games and planning away a rainy afternoon.

But their meet was held, despite the miserable weather, and the unfazed Crimson whipped Brown, 83-35, in dreary Providence.

The 'Cliffe put together a solid performance, overall, but completely swept Brown out of contention with an over-whelming display in the field events. Garnering all but two places, Radcliffe earned the nickname "the Springfield of the lvies" from their opponents.

Wendy Carle, who doubles as a basketball star, unexpectedly captured first place in both the javelin and the discus, while placing third in the shot put. Debbie Vogel took home a victory in the shot put and two second places, one in the jav and the other in the discus.

Coach Pappy Hunt said yesterday he was surprised by the strength of Carle's performance. "I always knew she was a good athlete," he said, "but since she started coming to practice a few days ago, I'd never really seen what she could do."

Even without the services of long jumper Kathy Rice, Radcliffe dominated the event. Ellen Hart, Sue Harper and Rian Smith finished first, second and third, respectively.

Carla Amble and Sarah Linsley switched places pn the 880-yd. and mile runs and both came up with blue ribbons. Amble brought home the bacon in the mile in 5.29, while Linsley won the half-mile in 2.25.

Setting new school records, Judy Rabinowitz grabbed the two-mile run and Valerie Moore placed second in the 100-yd. dash with times of 12.8 and 11.98. Moore, the first Radcliffe runner ever to break 12 seconds in the 100, finished just ahead of Patty Gopaul, who competed with a strained hamstring.

The team's record now stands at 1-2.