By Mutual Agreement

Last week President Bok and President Horner signed an agreement which should clarify a long-confused relationship between Harvard and Radcliffe. Harvard will take official responsibility for Radcliffe undergraduates and Horner will have a more clearly defined role in advising in the management of undergraduate affairs. Radcliffe will also take complete financial responsibility for its graduate studies.

Although the agreement will have little effect on undergraduate life it is a step toward solving the merger issue which should have been answered many years ago. Radcliffe's continued existence is important to provide support for undergraduate women. In addition the Radcliffe Institute and similar programs for women's studies are potentially useful and with a more concentrated interest they may well grow further in importance. We hope that some of these programs may also become available to undergraduates.

The agreement formalizes many changes which have slowly occurred over the years. Hopefully, now that it is signed, administrators will be able to turn their attention to the more immediate problems facing undergraduate women at Harvard.