Thinclads Take Second In AAUs

By Gay Seidman

Most people around here found it was muggy enough Sunday to limit their desire for exercise to hunting down an air-conditioned library, a rather fruitless exercise for those who are not pre-med.

But for six dedicated field specialists, Sunday was definitely not a day of rest.

Returning from this weekend's IC4As in Philadelphia, several members of the track team went down to Braintree High School to compete in the New England AAU contest, where they placed second behind the Greater Boston Track Club.

First of all, there was Joe Pellagrini, who broke four records with one discus heave. At 183 ft. 3 in., Pellagrini's throw set new University, New England AAU, New England Collegiate, and stadium records--not bad for a muggy day.

Opiate of the Masses

Then there was Tom Lenz, who placed fourth in the hammer toss with a 190 ft. 7 in. throw, but who managed to break the freshman record he had set earlier this year.

Both Pellagrini and Lenz qualified for the NCAA nationals to be held June 2 through 4, but they have not yet received official approval to take their exams in Illinois, where the meet will be held, so it is not definite that they will go.

Hasan Kayli placed first in the triple jump with a 44 ft. 7 in. leap, and John Shafee won the 800 meter in 1:55.4.

Dave Kinney threw a javelin 213 ft. 7 in., placing second in that contest, and track team captain-to-be Danny Sullivan placed fourth in his contest with a 6 ft. 6 in. high jump.

All in all, they didn't do too badly.

"They showed they could do without us--but don't publicize it," coach Ed Stowell, who didn't go to the meet, said yesterday.

Maybe--who knows?--if Stowell had been there they would have placed first.