Brown Topples Racquetwomen; Water Polo Team Closes 5-5

Sports Roundup

The Radcliffe tennis team ran its northern record to 1-3 yesterday, dropping a match to Brown at Providence, 7-3.

The racquetwomen managed one win in both the doubles and the singles portions of the meet.

In singles, Patty Wen defeated Bruin Jane Gurland in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3.

Run Over

The Crimson's number one doubles tandem of Katie Ditzler and Captain Denise Thal ran over their opponents on their way to a 10-5 triumph.

The team closes out the regular season today with a match against Darmouth, which beat Brown earlier in the spring by a score of 7-2.

The Harvard water polo team played its spring schedule with club status after competing as full varsity in the fall. This is common practice for most of the area's teams.

The aquamen finished the club season with a 5-5 mark after a loss in the semifinals of last weekend's New England Championships at MIT. The loss came at the hands of UMass, the team that went on to win the tournament.

The spring was somewhat of a disappointment after a 9-4 fall season in which the squad wound up second in New England to Brown.

Co-captain Jerry Feliciano attributed some of the team's problems to a lack of practice time and resultant trouble getting into shape.

"We missed out on some possible games because of spring break, and most of the other schools we play have better programs than ours," Feliciano said last night.

"I'm excited about next year, though, because we have good talent and we'll have the new pool in the fall," he said.

***** -

The Harvard swim team is looking forward to a good season next year, when they will get an incoming freshman who is a 1976 Olympic silver medalist in the 1500-meter freestyle and also holds the world record in the 800-meter freestyle (See story, page one).