Corporation, Trustees Pass Radcliffe Plan

By Gay Seidman

The Radcliffe Board of Trustees and the Harvard Corporation have approved a plan to clarify the financial and governing relationships between Harvard and Radcliffe and give Radcliffe greater control over its special programs for women.

Although members of both groups requested minor changes in the proposal's wording at their meetings Monday, Susan F. Lyman '36, chairman of the Radcliffe Board of Trustees, said yesterday the two governing bodies showed "general enthusiasm" for a more independent Radcliffe.

Members of the groups yesterday declined to discuss the details of the proposal, but it apparently calls for an internal reorganization of the Radcliffe administration as well as its increased financial independence.

Impact?

However, the plan--which has been under discussion among University administrators since November--will not greatly affect the practical status of Radcliffe undergraduates within the University, focusing instead on programs like the Radcliffe Institute and the Schlesinger Library.

President Horner, who presented the proposal to the trustees, said yesterday she and the other trustees believe it is "not appropriate" for them to comment publicly "until everyone has had their chance to discuss the plan."

The proposal will go before the Board of Overseers--the last governing body that must approve it before it can go into effect--next Monday.

Walter N. Rothschild Jr. '42, a Radcliffe trustee and a Harvard Overseer, said last night he does not foresee any obstacles to the plan's passage.