Radcliffe Runners Garner Third Consecutive Victory

By Keith Salkowski

In only its second season of competition, the Radcliffe track and field team assured itself of at least a break-even record this spring by defeating Dartmouth and Williams in a tri-meet held yesterday in Hanover, N.H.

The 'Cliffe runners garnered 75.5 points, while the Big Green scored 60.5 and Williams totaled a meager 12 points.

Yesterday's victory--the squad's third consecutive triumph--raised Radcliffe's season record to 3-2, with one contest to go.

Patricia Gopaul proved the 'Cliffe's top performer, winning the 100- and 220-yard dashes as she has been doing all spring. Her time of 11.9 seconds for the shorter distance--run against the wind--is a new school record.

A Long Day

The ironwoman award went to Kathy Rice a long jumper and sometime sprinter. Besides leaping to victory in her specialty, Rice finished just behind Gopaul in both sprints and led off the winning 440 yard relay team.

Rice's teammates on the relay were Val Moore and Kim Claermont, with Gopaul anchoring.

Other victors for Radcliffe were Sarah Linsley in the mile, Judy Rabinowitz in the two mile and Wendy Carle in the javelin.

Sue Harper placed first in the high hurdles and second in the long jump, while Lisa Burius picked up second place honors in the discus.

A pleasant surprise for the squad this year has been Anne Jones, Coach Pappy Hunt said yesterday. Hunt said Jones's third place finished in the mile and two mile scored "valuable points" for the team.

The 'Cliffe runners will wind up their season Friday when they meet the University of New Hampshire at Soldiers Field.