Hornig May Accept Post At Harvard

By Michael Kendall

Former Brown University President Donald F. Hornig '40 said yesterday he will decide in the next week whether to accept a tenured post at the School of Public Health.

A search committee at the School of Public Health offered him the position, Hornig said. Howard H. Hiatt, dean of the School of Public Health, refused to comment yesterday.

Money Troubles

As president of Brown in 1975, Hornig instituted major cutbacks and a tuition increase to balance the university's budget which had been running a deficit for several years.

The cutbacks, specifically the ones in financial aid and for faculty, precipitated faculty and student protests which culminated in a take-over of Brown's administration building by a minority student coalition.

Quitter

Hornig resigned his position the following summer, effective July 1976. He was a tenured chemistry professor at Brown before becoming president and has remained in the department while on a sabbatical at Harvard this year.

Hornig would not discuss the details of the offer but said he found the interdisciplinary approach of the School of Public Health especially attractive.