Entertainment listings for the week of July 1-7

By Marc M. Sadowsky

The place to be on the night of July 4th undoubtedly is the Esplanade. At least it was last year for 400,000 people. The Esplanade, on Storrow Drive at Arlington St., is the site of Boston's major Independence Day celebration. This year less than half the number of people who showed up last year are expected, but you should still probably get down there in the afternoon if you want a good seat.

Hop on the Red Line subway at Harvard Square and get off at the Charles St. station. Then start walking west and you'll eventually reach the Esplanade.

The official festivities don't start until 8:30 p.m. when Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops will play the 1812 Overture and other patriotic tunes. If you're planning to go early and need a way to spend your time, bring a book and a picnic lunch. Also, bring a lot of money so you can buy a bunch of tee shirts and large amounts of ice cream.

After the Pops's performance, a magnificent fireworks display will be launched over the Charles River. This is scheduled to begin at 10:30 p.m. Sources tell me that all spectators will be required to sing the lyrics from the Wonderful World of Disney, "The world is a carousel of color, color, color."