Search Committee Will Select New Police Chief by Autumn

Harvard is looking for a new police chief with a knack for dealing with organized labor, and hopes to find one by the end of the summer, a member of the University committee searching for a new chief said yesterday.

William A. Lee, acting chief of University police, said the eight-member committee has received "just loads" of applications for the post, and should recommend a candidate for formal appointment by Joe B. Wyatt, vice president for administration, by the start of next semester.

Wyatt, the chairman of the committee, could not be reached for comment last night.

The committee will consider applications from current members of the Harvard police department as well as outsiders with police experience, but will look for candidates with experience in dealing with labor unions, Lee said.

The University's published description of the post reads, "Candidates should have a demonstrated record of competence in management and personnel administration, including organized bargaining units," and adds that "particular emphasis will be given to management skills and background."

The University police have been beset by labor problems in recent months. Last March David L. Gorski resigned after two years as chief of University police in the wake of Harvard Police Association protests against his proposed reorganization of the University force.

Wyatt then named Lee, a labor relations specialist in the Department of Buildings and Grounds, as interim chief. Lee has played an active role in ongoing contract negotiations with the union but has said repeatedly he is not a candidate for the permanent job because he is not a professional policeman.

Lee said Harvard normally looks for administrators with labor relations experience, but added that "We just wanted to highlight the fact that the new chief should have experience in those areas".