Ali Survives

Muhammad Ali scored a shaky 15-round decision over Earnie "The Acorn" Shavers last night at Madison Square Garden in New York City, to retain his heavyweight title.

Shavers was the aggressor throughout the fight, using hard rights to Ali's midsection and head that stunned the champ, but the 33-year-old challenger could not finish off Ali after landing the initial blow.

The official scores were as follows: Referee Johnny LoBianco: 9-5-1 Ali Judge Eva Shane: 9-6 Ali Judge Tony Castillano: 9-6 Ali

Recommended Articles

Norton and Young Out to Corner Ali
Muhammed Ali was at ringside Saturday night at Caesar's Palace, and before Ken Norton and Jimmy Young squared off in
'N SYNC in Concert
The fervor started on the T with the gaggle of pre-teen girls singing "I'm Too Sexy." It continued in the
The Next Step: A Ph.D. Program
Zaheer R. Ali '94 wants to return to Harvard to pursue a Ph.D. in Afro-American stuides. But the University's 27-year-old
Shavers Plans to Trim Ali
Tonight Earnie Shavers squares off against Muhammad Ali in a World Heavyweight Championship fight at Madison Square Garden. Challenger Shavers
Mleczko, Two Teammates, in Running for Kazmaier Award
Three players on the No. 1 Harvard women's hockey team were among the 10 candidates for the 1999 Patty Kazmaier
Album Review: Willennium by Will Smith
Forget your Y2K worries. Don't think about the water you've been hoarding or the guns and cash Mom has hidden