Freshmen Racquetmen Squash Williams, 8-1; Somers, Gabrieli and Green Spur the Attack

The freshmen racquetmen pushed their season's record to 2-0 yesterday, as they breezed past Williams in an 8-1 rout.

Number one player Joe Somers led the Crimson nine both onto the court and then quickly off again as he registered the first Harvard score in a 15-7, 15-7, 15-7 whitewash of his Williams opponent.

Frank Gelardin and Kurt Green kept the momentum going as they both posted 3-0 wins, at positions two and eight, respectively. Seven-man Scott Freeman dropped his first game 8-15 but then recovered and outclassed his opponent to the tune of 15-8, 15-7 and 15-6.

After these players had set the tone of the match, their teammates could walk in and deal the crushing blow to the Ephmen. Nomber-five Benny Swett shellacked his opponent, allowing only wight points in the first game and six in each of the last two.

Then Chris Gabrieli at number three and number-nine man Fred Hadley made short work of their opponents as they each recorded decisive 3-0 wins.

Seth Cohen provided the day's excitement in his cliff-hanger at number six. After taking a 2-1 lead, Cohen battled to a 16-16 tie in the fourth game. In keeping with the day's trend, he then snared the last point to win, 17-16.

The Crimson's only casualty came at the number four spot when an Ephman outlasted Harvard racquetman Mike Stein by the scores 12-15, 13-15, 15-9 and 8-15.

"I am very pleased with the team's performance right along the line," Coach Corey Wynn commented yesterday. "Our consistency and control enabled us to dominate the Williams team," he added.

Wynn said that he felt the team was progressing very well, citing consistency and shot selection as the major areas of improvement.

In the yardlings' only other outing thus far, they romped over Andover, 5-2.

With these two wins already tallied, the Crimson's prospects look bright. Wynn said, "The whole team looks promising. We are very strong on top and my newer players, Freeman, Green and Hadley, are improving every match."