Here To Fray, Gone Tomorrow

If you think the best way to prepare for exams or recuperate from them is to hear some standard classical
By Richard Kreindler

If you think the best way to prepare for exams or recuperate from them is to hear some standard classical works, you're in luck this month. Bach, Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven are well represented among the concerts in Cambridge and Boston, and might be the perfect remedy for frayed nerves. On the other hand, WHRB presents sixty consecutive hours of the complete recorded music of Schoenberg and Stravinsky for those whose nerves aren't frayed enough.

The Longy School hosts a half-dozen interesting concerts over the next three weeks. The Longy Wind Ensemble, conducted by Basil Chapman, plays works by Mozart and Beethoven on Friday, January 13. The School is located at 1 Follen St., near Radcliffe Quad. Call 876-0956 for details. Among the other Longy concerts is a Special Faculty Concert on Monday, January 16, featuring sonatas of Mozart, Brahms and Beethoven. "Music for Viennese Fortepiano," on Friday, January 20, includes Mozart's Piano Sonata K. 281 and Beethoven's Sonata in C sharp minor Op. 27, no. 2. In a more modern vein, the New England Woodwind Quintet performs works of Villa-Lobos, Barber and Janacek, as well as Haydn, on Wednesday, January 25, at Longy. The Cambridge Chamber Players features guest violinst Joseph Silverstein and guest pianist Andrew Wolf on January 27. This should be a very worth-while concert, and includes Ravel's Trio in A minor.

Moving back in time again, the Boston University School for the Arts presents a Faculty Recital with harpsichord works by Bach, Sarlatti and Rameau. The concert is on Friday, January 20, at 855 Commonwealth Ave., Boston. Call 353-3345 for more information. The School also presents concert of "Music of the 20th Century" on January 31, with works of Bernstein, Babitt and others.

The Boston Symphony Orchestra offers more traditional fare with Raymong Leppard conducting. "Works by the Bach Family" includes an open rehearsal on Wednesday, January 25, and performances on January 26, 27, 28 and 31. J.S. Bach's Suite in B minor for Flute and orchestral works by relatives are included. The concerts are a 251 Huntington Ave., Boston. Dial 266-2378 for more details.

Among other concerts in Cambridge during this balmy January is an all-Schubert program by acclaimed Viennese pianist Paul Badura-Skoda, who plays Schubert's Sonata in A Major Op. 120, Four Impormptus, and Atzengrugger Dances in Sanders Theatre on Wednesday, February 1, at 8:30 pm. Even if exams weren't over by this date, there would be no excuse for missing this concert. Phone 266-3314 for free tickets given by the Peabody-Mason Foundation. Also in Cambridge are Part III of Bach's Clavieruebung, at the First Church, 11 Garden St., on February 5, and the Thursday noon recitals at the Busch-Reisinger Museum.

Finally, WHRB presents a Schoenberg and Stravinsky Orgy from noon on January 15 to midnight on January 17. It includes recorded works conducted by the composers, taped interviews, and recordings no longer available or never commercially released. Anyone who can endure this listening session should be a match for any Mem Hall or Burr B session with Mr. Test.