Council to Vote On New Mayor, Condominiums

By Laurie Hays

The Cambridge City Council will attempt for the third time to elect a Mayor for the City of Cambridge tonight, although no councilor is expected to receive the necessary five votes to assume the office.

As in past years, the council is divided into liberal and conservative coalitions, with acting-mayor Alfred E. Vellucci voting for himself on every ballot so far.

Vellucci siad last week he would continue to vote for himself. Vellucci seems likely to eventually win ultimately, although the deadlock may continue for some time.

Vellucci was elected two years ago after making a deal with the liberals that he would support them on a number of issues, including a bill to halt condominium conversion.

The council is also expected this evening to approve a bill that City Councilor Saundra Graham proposed last spring that would prevent landlords from evicting residents from apartments they wish to convert to condominiums.

The Alliance of Cambridge Tenants has asked its members to attend the meeting tonight to express their support for Graham's bill