Blacks Plan Symposium On Business

The black student and alumni organizations at Harvard Business School will sponsor their sixth annual symposium February 3 and 4 on blacks in business and management careers.

E. Stanley O'Neal, vice president of the Afro-American Student Union and a business school student, said the meeting will provide information on career opportunities for undergraduates as well as business students. Amy Meyer, associate director of admissions at the Business School, said yesterday she hopes the symposium will attract undergraduates interested in business school, but added that the office has no plans for formal recruitment meetings during the two-day symposium.

O'Neal said "Harvard Business School, in particular, loses out because, we suspect, some people who are highly qualified are not aware of the opportunities at Harvard." Business schools must compete with law and medical schools for minority students, he added.

Speaker

The group's principal speaker is Otis M. Smith, vice president and general counsel of General Motors Corporation.

Meyer said the symposium sponsors chose Smith because "he is considered a good role model."

Recommended Articles

B-School Efforts Pay Off
Business School efforts to increase minority student enrollment seem to be paying off. This week, the Business faculty voted to
Business School Faculty Vote Revises Minority Admissions
The Business School officially dropped special provisions for minority admissions yesterday because increasing numbers of minority applicants are now meeting
Pusey to Speak at B-School Today
President Pusey will be the first of eight speakers to talk this morning at an all-day Business School symposium on
Horizon Scholars
GSAS Hosts Symposium on Student Research
Donors and Professors Confer at Symposia After FAS Capital Campaign Launch
Green Labs Symposium Promotes More Energy-Efficient Labs
The symposium included a networking session, workshops, and a case study of the Smart Labs Initiative at the University of California Irvine.