Commission To Study State College System

By Dewitt C. Jones

The structure of public higher education in Massachusetts may change as a result of the newly appointed Special Commission on the Reorganization of Higher Education, Richard Ames '65, the assistant secretary for educational affairs, said yesterday.

The commission, which is made up of five state senators, ten state representatives, the chancellor of higher education and nine public members, will "study the present system and consider whether it is functioning well; if it is not, the commission will look into what alternatives and changes would improve the system," Ames added.

You're Dead

William O. Taylor '54, publisher and president of the Boston Globe and one of the nine lay members of the commission, said yesterday, "The two areas which I think that we will look at closest are first getting a better bang for the buck and second getting better support for high education."

The commission, which will hold its first meeting within the next two weeks, will most likely also look into the reorganization of the five separate boards which presently control higher education and the reorganization of the state universities, colleges and community colleges into one unified system, Taylor said.

The commission is expected to finish its work early in 1979. The governor's office, the legislature, the Department of Education and the individual school will then consider the recommendations before any final action is approved