Run to the Dead!

Quick! Before you read any further, put down this paper, pick up your checkbook or parents' Mastercharge, and run over
By Laura J. Levine

Quick! Before you read any further, put down this paper, pick up your checkbook or parents' Mastercharge, and run over to the nearest ticket agency to get tickets for the Grateful Dead, who will be appearing at the Music Hall on Nov. 13 and 14. The last time the Dead played Boston was at the Garden two years ago: a most disappointing show, due mainly to the cavernous nature of that ice rink/basketball court/circus arena which is periodically converted into a pitiful excuse for a theater. (A note to freshmen unacquainted with the Boston music scene: avoid the Garden at all costs, even if Barry Manilow is playing there.)

Speaking of the circus, those rumors are true: it is coming to town, from Oct. 18-30. Tickets range from $4 to $7.50, and if you haven't been since you were a kid, treat yourself.

Van Morrison will be at the Orpheum on Oct. 16 for two shows, with Rockpile (featuring Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds) as the warm-up group, the ad informs me in small type. If it were up to me, I'd have Rockpile as the starring act. As a matter of fact, you'll have the opportunity to hear them again on Oct. 30 and 31, when they'll be headlining at the Paradise (for $4.50, no less!).

Some other people coming to the Paradise in the not-too-distant future: Les McCann tonight; Devo on the 25th (I've never heard him/them, but I hear he/they are the wave of the future, according to an ex-rock critic of this paper. In any case, they're going to be on "Saturday Night Live" next week, so if he/they haven't made it big before then, "Devo" will certainly be a household word by Sunday morning, along with "noogies.") The aging yet great Joe Cocker will perform feats of contortion deemed physically impossible for the average (straight) human being on Nov. 5.

As far as the biggies: Queen will reign (how many times has that line been used?) at the Garden on Nov. 13 (remember what I said about the Garden...); Jean-Luc Ponty and the Marc-Almond Band will be at the Orpheum on Oct. 20; Kenny Loggins on the 21st; Weather Report on Nov. 11.

All rather boring. Ah! But how about the Talking Heads at the Berklee Performance Center on Nov. 4? Not only are they good, but, boy, are they cute! Al Stewart will be at the Music Hall on Nov. 5; and the Doobie Brothers on Nov. 19, for two shows.

Almost missed this one! Donna Summer will grace the Music Hall on Oct. 30 and 31, her "first Boston concert appearance." If you can't afford the $10.50, I suggest seeing "T.G.I.F." when it returns to the Harvard Square Theater instead (a classic, DeWitt!).

Wait, there's even more, as I turn to the back section of the file. It says here that Chuck Mangione will be at the Berklee Performance Center on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1; Chick Corea and Gary Burton today; Craig Russell will pretend to be your favorite female performer on Oct. 14 (again, if you can't afford the show, you can still see the movie "Outrageous" for considerably less).

One last perusal of the notices before I sign off...no one interesting is coming to Passim. I can't find any info on the Rat (but go anyway; it's bound to be an experience). Paul's Mall is dead. Sigh.

Until the next time they let me write this,