Dartmouth Downs Stickwomen; Winning Streak Stops at Five

By Elizabeth N. Friese

If it had been a little colder in Hanover, N.H. Saturday, the Harvard field hockey team might have played a different game--on skates. But cleats were the attire of the day, as the Crimson slogged through ankle-deep puddles in the rain, finally suffering a frustrating 2-1 loss to the Big Green at Dartmouth.

The stickwomen rolled into town riding the crest of a five-game winning streak, but the momentum wasn't enough to carry them through. The Harvard offense peppered Dartmouth netminder Laura Center with 27 shots over the course of the game, but right wing Sue Field's stick was behind the only shot that hit home.

Field broke the ice for the Crimson at 27:42 of the first half when she emerged from a scramble in front of the Dartmouth goal to push a shot past Center.

Ellen Remsen answered for the Big Green just 18 seconds later when she took a pass at the circle and drove a shot past Crimson goalie Ellen Seidler.

Remsen's second goal of the day put the game away for Dartmouth at 7:07 of the second half, when the star forward rushed a shot from the right side to beat the Harvard defense again.

Sophomore halfback Tania Huber punched a high shot into the net later in the second half, but the Crimson's tying goal was called back for a violation.

The Harvard defense did a good job of protecting Seidler most of the time, allowing the Big Green only nine shots on goal in the entire contest.

"We played really well," senior co-captain Seidler said yesterday. "But our game is short, quick passes, while Dartmouth's is long breakaways. The weather hurt our stickwork," she added.