Source of Salmonella Outbreak Still Stumps UHS Officials

By Susan D. Chira

University Health Services (UHS) officials said yesterday they have not traced the source of a recent outbreak of salmonella infection although they have pinpointed the Freshman Union and the Varsity Club as the areas where students may have contracted the infection.

Because football players and freshmen make up the majority of the reported cases so far, investigators are focusing on the Union and the Varsity Club, Dr. Warren E.C. Wacker, director of UHS, said yesterday.

Investigators are still collecting samples from kitchen workers and students who have jobs in the Union or the Varsity Club kitchens, and must wait for the results to be analyzed in the state Department of Health laboratories, Charles J. Krause Jr., sanitary inspector for UHS and the director of the investigation, said yesterday.

"What's stumped us is that the incubation period is not following a normal pattern, and we still need additional samples," Krause added.

Krause said often the symptoms of salmonella resemble those of a virus or flu infection, "so Joe Public doesn't always know what we're looking for."

Students are continuing to report to UHS with symptoms of salmonella infection, Wacker said.

Vincent Carey '82, who is in Stillman Infirmary with symptoms of salmonella infection, said yesterday he fell ill Monday. He said he usually eats in the Union.

Krause said the outbreak is a serious problem. "We're all pulling together to try to solve it. I feel a little like Quincy and Columbo together," he said.

Investigators are hoping to receive the final results from the state labs sometime this morning, he added.