Ten RUS Seats Vacant In South, Kirkland, Yard As First Meeting Nears

By Justina K. Carlson

Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS) is still ten representatives short of a full 38-woman legislature but plans to fill the vacancies by a combination of appointments and special elections, Jennifer R. Levin '80, RUS President, said yesterday.

Kirkland House and South House each lack one representative and eight of 12 freshman positions remain empty, Levin said.

The final decision of how to fill the vacancies rests with the legislature. Levin said she will recommend special elections for the freshman seats and appointments for the upperclass seats when RUS convenes on October 23.

Open Door Policy

Levin said meetings of RUS are open to all undergraduate women. If women from Houses and areas of the Yard lacking representation attend these weekly meetings, the legislature will consider appointing them.

RUS will launch publicity campaigns to draw women from these areas, Levin said. Elections will be held for the Yard if enough freshman women desire representative positions.

Heather A. Pavlick, '79, secretary to RUS, said this semester's elections were "slapdash" since there were not enough people to organize the elections.

Pavlick said next semester's elections will be better organized and better publicized.

Hilary Nelson '82, freshman RUS representative, siad she hadn't thought about how to fill her class's vacancies but thinks it is "important" that freshmen get full representation on RUS.

"Any organization that has $12,000 has a lot of potential," Nelson said, adding she will try to interest more freshmen in RUS.

RUS is currently funded by a five-dollar charge appearing on all undergraduate women's term bills. Last spring, the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL) recommended that this funding be gradually revoked over a five-year period.

The recommendation was sent by CHUL to Dean Rosovsky, who then sent a report to President Bok.

Radcliffe officials cannot influence the decision unless Bok asks the Joint Policy Committee of Harvard and Radcliffe to discuss the fate of the term-bill funding, A. Simone Reagor, director of the Radcliffe Forum, said yesterday.