Delivery Services Suggest Reasons For Late Papers

Students who subscribe to The Boston Globe have been getting irregular delivery service for the past two weeks, and those involved in delivery suggest reasons for the poor service ranging from new, inexperienced employees to possible union conflicts.

Martin O. Olive '78-4, manager of the Harvard delivery news service, said yesterday the Globes have been arriving at the Harvard pick-up area later than usual, and therefore are not distributed until late in the morning. The paper has been delivered late three times this week and Thursday's copies arrived so late that Harvard delivery was not able to distribute it until Friday morning, Olive said.

The late deliveries are possibly due to current contract negotiations at The Globe and so the drivers may be "trying to make a point," Olive said.

John Sereda, assistant circulation manager for The Globe, said yesterday any suggestion of a deliberate slowdown on the part of the drivers was "absolutely false" and attributed the delivery delay to a new driver on the route who has had trouble getting used to the schedule.

A spokesman for the drivers' union refused to comment on the delivery service or the progress of negotiations.

Peter H. Hoffenberg '82, a Globe subscriber, said yesterday he found the inconsistent service irritating. "Once somebody pays their money they expect the other party to meet their financial commitment. At least they could tell us why it isn't being delivered," he added.

"It's unfortunate and inconvenient, but we can't do anything about it," Olive said.