NASA Puts Harvard Project in Orbit

Spacelab Experiment Approved

Empty space--some scientists are paying at least $500 per half cubic meter for it, but Harvard is getting it free.

That vacant space will be aboard Spacelab 2, one of a pair of National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) orbiting laboratories to be flown in NASA's new orbiting space shuttle within the next five years.

Herbert Gursky, professor of the practice of X-ray astronomy, said yesterday that a group of Harvard scientists had successfully applied for an opportunity to conduct a Spacelab experiment that NASA will fund.

Common Goals

NASA is funding the $4 million Harvard experiment and 12 other projects because the groups' experimental goals coincide with NASA's, Giovanni G. Fazio, lecturer on astronomy, said yesterday.

Fazio said some independent groups are paying for their space on Spacelab, but he added, "We're carrying out NASA's project; others are doing their own private thing." The independent experiments are of secondary importance to NASA, he said.

Harvard's experiment will involve the use of a new infrared telescope in gathering astronomical information, Fazio said. James M. Anderson, teaching fellow in biology, added that the experiment will obtain data about the atmosphere of the sun.

Fazio said the infrared telescope to be used in the experiment was the first of its kind. The Harvard experiment is the only astronomy proposal NASA has accepted so far for Spacelab, he explained, adding that some non-Harvard physics and chemistry proposals already had been approved.

The Spacelab is a special experimental station designed to allow scientists to collect data in the weightless, pressureless atmosphere of outer space using their own equipment.

Fazio said because of the desirable experimental conditions the Spacelab offers some research projects, a growing number of other Harvard scientists are in the process of applying for space on future Spacelab flights.