Study Conducted by Two Seniors Improves Variety and Nutritional Value of House Food

A study of the dining hall offerings by two seniors last spring has helped to bring about several improvements this semester in the nutritional value of House food, Richard Manville, central kitchen manager for five River Houses, said yesterday.

The study, conducted by Jane M. Schmeiser '79 and Paige E. Tolbert '79, both Eliot House seniors, concluded University Food Services should reduce the use of refined sugar, refined carbohydrates, saturated fats and salts,

Raw Food

The two also recommended that more raw foods be provided and that meal ingredients be listed whenever possible.

Frank J. Weissbecker, director of Food Services, to whom the seniors submitted their conclusions, said yesterday although he hoped to address Schmeiser's and Tolbert's concerns, he could not "arbitrarily take all desserts off the menu."

Schmeiser said she and Tolbert agree that their goal "is not to force nutrition on anyone, but rather to let those who are concerned about nutrition pursue good eating habits." She added, "the whole meal shouldn't be like one big dessert."

Free Choice

"You can't delegate nutrition," Montville said, adding that instead students should be educated about nutrition.

F. Douglas Raymond '80 of Eliot House said yesterday he has noticed an increase in the variety of vegetables offered at the House's condiment table. He added that he "would rather eat here than in other Houses."

Carl J. Martignetti '80, also an Eliot House resident, said yesterday he "would definitely favor a reduction in sugar consumption."

John Schaffer, an Eliot House cook, yesterday praised Montville for seeking to please students and considering suggested changes.

Meal planners expanded the five Houses' salad bars and improved freshness and quality of the main courses this semester, Shaffer added.