Lebanese Conflict Intensifies

BEIRUT--Violence between a peace-keeping Syrian force and Christians has caused serious damage in the capital city in fighting that veterans of the Lebanese conflict say is worse than any seen during the height of the civil war last year.

The conflict that has destroyed much of the Christian sector of East Beirut is now moving into the western sector of the city and the northern mountains, a stronghold of right-wing militia troops.

The Syrians, now the majority of an Arab League peace-keeping force stationed in the city, intervened in the civil war between leftist Lebanese Moslems, Palestinians and right-wing Christians, whom the Moslems thought had too much political power.

The Syrian move saved the Christians who were losing the war, but they have now proved resistant to Syrian attempts to control them.

The Christian quarter has been without water and electricity for a week. Artillery fire in the city knocked out most of West Beirut's power, leaving the city without lights or any outside communication.

Red Cross workers said the threats of famine and death from thirst are becoming increasingly more serious because the Syrians have cut off all routes of supply to the eastern sector.

A right-wing militia campaign to seize two strategic bridges from the Syrians that lead into East Beirut and out of the city to the north could be a push for an escape route.

Officials in the eastern sector said more than two-thirds of the 600,000 Christians here have fled to the mountains or the country. The remainder, mostly poorer residents, have stayed behind to support the militia or to protect their property from looting.

"I think this is in some ways worse than the civil war," a British diplomat, who was here during the 19-month conflict, said. "The big guns weren't operating then. It was mostly a light-arms war."

The heavy artillery, mortar and rocket barrages, mostly from Syrian guns, are responsible for the high civilian casualty toll, experts said.

More than 700 Lebanese, an estimated 90 per cent civilians, have been killed in three extended battles since the current conflict broke out last February.

The Syrians may soon launch an offensive against Jounieb, the unofficial Christian capital 12 miles north of Beirut, the only remaining supply port for the militia, observers said.