Freshmen Will Elect CRR Reps

By J. WYATT Emmerich

With approximately one-fourth of the class casting ballots, freshmen voted 238 to 154 with 61 abstentions to send representatives to the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities (CRR), making the Class of '82 the third freshman class in a row to break an eight-year boycott of the committee.

All the Houses, with the exception of Quincy, have voted not to send representatives to the CRR, a committee the University formed in 1970 to consider cases of students charged with disruption during campus demonstrations.

Members of the Freshman Council who ran the class-wide referendum said yesterday most students know little about the CRR, despite efforts by the council to inform students about the purpose of the committee. The council posted position papers arguing for and against CRR representation near the polling place.

"Not many people showed much interest at all," Michael J. Mills '82, moderator of the Freshman Council, said yesterday. "It was very lackluster," he added.

Some former student members of the CRR who are attempting to reform the committee have urged students to boycott the CRR until the full Faculty votes to accept reforms barring hearsay evidence, creating an appeals board, and prohibiting legal counsel in hearings.