Kraus Gets New Position In GSAS Reorganization

By Corcoran H. Byrne and Elizabeth H. Wiltshire

As part of a recent administrative reorganization at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS), Edward L. Keenan '57, dean of GSAS, appointed Richard A. Kraus its new associate dean for administration.

Kraus, director of financial aids and admissions for GSAS, will assume his new office on January 1, when the resignation of Peter S. McKinney, administrative dean, takes effect.

McKinney's resignation last month prompted the restructuring of several administrative positions to clarify departmental responsibilities. The reorganization will divide McKinney's old duties between Keenan and Kraus, Keenan said yesterday.

Shoot the Moon

"Rather than replace McKinney, we're reviewing the operation of the whole graduate school," he said. "Probably the only person who isn't moving is the receptionist," he added.

Keenan said his professional and administrative staff agreed that Kraus would best serve GSAS in a "central position" because "he has been an administrator and McKinney's right-hand man for years."

"It's a large challenge and a lot of work, but I hope a lot can be done," Kraus said yesterday.

Keenan said that Kraus's main projects, including the use of computers in financial aid and admissions, "are more or less finished now" and his assistants can take over.

Bureaucracy, Si

Patricia A. McWade, associate director of financial aid, and Mildred L. Allen, associate director of admissions, will share Kraus's old position, becoming director of financial aids and director of admissions respectively, Allen said yesterday.

Keenan said the present set-up confused lines of responsibility. "The new arrangement will clarify and, to a certain extent, streamline the organization," he said.

He said he hopes the changes will make the administration more flexible, responsive and efficient.

McKinney will move in January to the Division of Applied Sciences of GSAS as associate dean for administration.

Randy J. Fertel, a graduate student in English, said yesterday the new positions of the administrators might make them "more open to challenges," but he was unsure whether the reorganization constituted any significant change.

Keenan said GSAS should complete the major administrative changes by January 1.