Bowersock Will Report On Brustein's Proposal

By Susan C. Faludi

The standing Committee on Drama will hear a report tomorrow by Glen W. Bowersock '57, associate dean of the Faculty on undergraduate education and a member of the committee, on the possible appointment of Robert S. Brustein, dean of the Yale School of Drama, as director of the Loeb.

Franklin L. Ford, chairman of the standing committee and McLean Professor of Ancient and Modern History, said yesterday that Bowersock's report would be the first official communication between the administration and the committee on Brustein's appointment.

The meeting will also be the first opportunity for Loeb staff members, all of whom are on the committee, to discuss Brustein's proposal with the administration.

Waiting for Godot

Early this month, Bowersock asked the Loeb staff to comment on Brustein's proposals. Since then, the administration has had no other contact with the staff, George E. Hamlin, producing director of the Loeb, said yesterday. "It is rather odd that the employed professional people haven't been consulted more fully," he added.

Hamlin said he and the staff have not taken a position regarding Brustein's appointment. "We prefer to wait for more information," he added.

Hunting

One of the major questions to be raised at the meeting should be the status of the present Loeb staff if Brustein is appointed, Hamlin said.

Hamlin said he is not sure what will happen to the technical staff if Brustein brings in his Repertory company. "They want to know if they should go out and look for jobs," he added.

Another question Loeb staff should bring up at the meeting is how they should plan for future productions, Hamlin said.

The staff plans Loeb productions at least one year in advance. "In order to plan for the future, we ought to know what is going on," he added.

Also unclear, Hamlin said, is "the direction the Loeb should go next year," if Brustein is to come to the Loeb in the fall of 1980.

Brustein proposed several weeks ago to bring the Yale Repertory Theater to the Loeb and set up an undergraduate drama program at Harvard under his direction, probably starting in the fall of 1980.

Kerry L. Konrad '79, president of the Harvard-Radcliffe Dramatic Club (HRDC) and a member of the standing committee, said yesterday the meeting will be the first time for most members to state their position to the administration.

No Independence Day

"I don't expect fireworks," Konrad said, "but it should be a lively discussion."

The HRDC is preparing to mail an "information packet" on Brustein's proposal to class officers from the past 25 years, Konrad said.

Konrad will meet tomorrow with Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, to ask for permission to see alumni address records.