Matmen Fall to B.U., UMass in Debut

By Jeffrey R. Toobin

Harvard wrestlers dropped their season opener yesterday at Amherst, but impressive individual performances by grapplers Tony Cimmarusti, Paul Wiederman and Bill Mulvihill eased the pain of the double defeat at the hands of UMass, 29-9, and B.U., 25-19.

Cimmarusti put on an amazing showing in the 134-lb. class, when, despite breaking his hand in the first minute of his match against UMass, he triumphed 11-9. Incredibly, he then went on to beat his opponent from B.U., 8-4. Because of his injury, Cimmarusti will be out of action until January.

Weiderman, a 118-lb. freshman whom coach Johnny Lee described as "the best kid I've had here in ten years," also registered a double victory, shutting out Dana Rasmussen of UMass, 11-0, and repeating the trick over B.U.'s Rich Abbot, 9-0.

Senior matman Mulvihill, weighing in at 134, also took two for the Crimson as he downed UMass captain Larry Otsuka, 5-4, and defeated John Traylor from B.U., 5-2.

Heavyweight Craig Beling, in his first appearance off the gridiron this year, won his opener against B.U. in impressive fashion, 11-0. However, John Allen of UMass pinned Beling in the third period of a tightly fought battle.

"We've got to get a lot tougher in the 158, 167 and 190 divisions or we're going to be in trouble," Lee said after the match, reflecting on the one win and five loss effort his wrestlers at those weights turned in yesterday.

Chris Kimball at 167 lbs. and John Williams at 190 were not sharp. Kimball, coming off a four year lay-off from wrestling, succumbed twice, as did Williams.

Shoulder Separation

After a 6-1 loss to UMass, senior Tony Pucillo earned a victory in his second match of the evening. B.U.'s Bob Eagleton illegally slammed Pucillo to the canvas in their match, separating the 158-pounder's shoulder, and Pucillo was awarded the victory on the foul. He is lost to the team indefinitely.

Rich Corrada lost both his matches in the 126 pound class, as did Keith Oberg at 142. Mike Carroll of UMass took a heartbreaker, 25-24, over the Crimson's John Franklin. The 150 pound senior lost a controversial pin to John Wade from B.U. in his first match.

Pucillo and Cimmarusti join the wounded on a squad that is wracked with injuries just one game into the season.