W. J. Bate Suffers Stroke; Engell to Give English 140b

By Linda S. Drucker and Lino D. Tontodonato

Walter Jackson Bate '39, Lowell Professor of the Humanities, is recovering from a stroke he suffered last Tuesday and will be unable to lecture in English 140b, "The Age of Johnson," for the rest of the term. James T. Engell '73, assistant professor of English, who will take over Bate's classes, made the announcement to a stunned class yesterday.

Bate said yesterday that his condition was very much improved and he was "up and about." An admitted "workaholic," Bate spent an hour in his Widener office yesterday "to get some exercise."

Bate attributed his illness to an "overabundance of writing, research and meetings...overworking." He will spend several months recuperating and hopes to continue with course work in the spring term.

The 60-year-old scholar won his second Pulitzer last year for his biography of Samuel Johnson. His biography of John Keats had previously recieved a Pulitzer. Currently he is co-editing Coleridge's vast "Biographia Literaria" with Engell.

Bate is best known among Harvard students for English 140b, his extremely popular course on the literature of the late 18th century. "Mr. Bate blends a real knowledge of the subject with an ability to express it well, which is quite rare," said Joel A. Bando, a grader for 140b.

English 140b, which has an enrollment of 280 this term, has traditionally been one of the most popular courses on campus. Bate "seems to establish a sense of intimacy in such a large course. Many people who don't take the course come to the lectures," Bando said.

Although Bate acknowledged it would be difficult for Engell to live up to some students' expectations, he considers Engell an "excellent lecturer" with a "fine knowledge of the course." Engell also taught several lectures at the beginning of the term when Bate was ill.

"From the lectures he gave, I think Engell is very capable and well organized," said David M. Edelstein '79, who is in the course.

"Jim goes pretty much by what Mr. Bate has done. They are constantly in touch," said Penny P. Merliss, a teaching fellow for the course.

David Perkins, chairman of the English Department, said yesterday no changes will be made in the remainder of the course