Turkey Award for Bok

News Shorts

"Boston Magazine" this month added a new item to the list of President Bok's tributes: Turkey of the Year.

The November issue of the magazine cited Bok, along with Anita Bryant, Henry Winkler, the entire town of Hvden, Ky., and 46 others, as "inept," and misfits."

Bok received the award "for bringing in exiled South African journalist Donald Woods as a Nieman fellow after refusing to divest Harvard of its South African interests. Too late the fellowship, Derek," the article stated.

"I have the same feeling for this sort of thing as I had for being included in the in-people in 'Women's Wear Daily'," Bok said yesterday.

"On the basis of that brief report, Boston Magazine gets my Turkey of the year award," James C. Thomson Jr., curator of the Nieman Foundation, said yesterday.

"It's a totally unfair caricature of what President Bok has tried to do, both in thinking out Harvard's financial relationship to South Africa and in granting safe haven to Donald Woods," he said.

Donald Woods said yesterday, "I am deeply grateful to President Bok for bringing me here. I think Harvard should divest every cent of its investments involving South Africa.