Toga Party

By Joseph T. Scarry

South House's budding party planners are regrouping their forces after failing to get University approval of two parts of their design for a Yale weekend toga blast at the Quad.

Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, earlier this week told members of the South House Social Committee that they may not accept free Anheuser-Busch beer and free gifts from Universal Studios for use in their party.

Epps said yesterday that after speaking to representatives of the companies he thought "the proposal presented to the companies was that the party would be an opportunity for them to promote their beer and their movie, and that it would be a media event."

University policy prohibits commercial sponsorship of events at Harvard, Epps said.

Stephen V.R. Winthrop '80, one of the party's organizers, said yesterday the group hopes to buy beer with South House funds instead of accepting the Anheuser-Busch gift. The group will still rent togas from Harvard Student Agencies and probably hire a professional disc jockey, he said.

The students planning the party are divided over the question of donating the profits from the party to the Jimmy Fund, which raises money for cancer research, Gerald F. Cox '80, another student planner, said yesterday.

Without the free beer, the group will have to use much of the proceeds to refund South House's contribution, Cox said.

Spokesmen for Anheuser-Busch, Inc. claim the company offered to donate beer for the party because profits from the event would be donated to the Jimmy Fund, and they think "the cause is well worthwhile."

Epps said yesterday that after talking to representatives from the companies, he decided "neither company thought of it as a philanthropic event.