Friars Outskate Women, 13-3

By Jim Hershberg

Well, it beats 17-0. Two weeks after getting pounded in Providence, the women's hockey team finally managed to put the puck in the Friar net but still dropped a 13-3 decision yesterday at Walter Brown Arena.

The Crimson started strong, holding the powerful Providence squad to a two-goal edge through the first period. After falling behind 3-0, Harvard finally broke the ice 7:09 into the contest when standout center-defenseman Tania Huber capped a three-on-two break with a wrist shot that slipped just under the crossbar into the upper right corner of the net. Sara Fischer and Julie Scarr picked up assists on the play.

Illicit Drugs

Two tripping penalties to Providence gave the icewomen a chance to pull within one, but they could not convert the two-man advantage.

Harvard successfully killed off a penalty to Fischer as the opening session ended, but the Friars ended any hope of an upset by burning netminder Nelia "Gump" Worsely and her slow-skating teammates for seven goals in the middle stanza.

Coach Joe Bertagna and a small but enthusiastic crowd did have something to cheer about, though, as the Crimson tallied twice near the end of the period. First, Firkens Reed grabbed a loose puck at center ice, beat a defenseman down the right boards and skated across the Friar crease before slipping a neat backhander between the goalie's pads. Less than a minute and a half later, Fischer managed to poke in a Huber centering pass for Harvard's last goal.

Sue Duffy and Mary Ellen Reardon led the Providence attack, scoring five and two goals respectively.

CRIMSON LINES: Said coach Bertagna after the game, "We played better tonight, but Providence is still out of our league"...the squad travels to Browne & Nichols to face Boston University this Saturday at 3:30 p.m.