Kuumba Singers Seek Grant Funds To Produce Album

The Kuumba Singers, a group of undergraduate performers, are applying to private foundations for a grant to produce their first record by June, Hobart W. Harris '79, president of the group, said this week. It will cost $25,000 to produce the album, Harris said. "The problem we face which most other groups at Harvard don't is Kuumba's limited history. We don't have their alumni or their resources."

Kuumba is the Swahili word meaning creativity. The group was created in 1970 to fill a gap in cultural expression for black undergraduates, Kim Dickson '79, a member of the group, said yesterday.

"Singing is our principle means of expression, but many members play instruments and write poetry. The repertoire is unlimited: spiritual, jazz, Afro-American" Robert Winfrey, director of the group said yesterday.

Since its start in 1970, the group has expanded in size and scope. Today there are 65 members and most concerts include some poetry, songs or arrangements written by past or present Kuumba members, Dickson said.

"The record will probably be a collage of Afro-American song types, perhaps with an educational as well as entertaining purpose," Harris said.