Racquetmen Breeze Past Trinity, 9-0

The Crimson squash team lured yet another unwilling victim into their Hemenway lair yesterday, this time polishing off Trinity 9-0. In three matches the opposition has yet to win a game off the racquetmen.

Mike Desaulniers at number one commenced the carnage but he seemed a bit queasy in dispatching national junior champ Mark Talbott. Talbott actually won a set, the first Desaulniers has yielded since the Army match last year.

After dropping the first set 15-17 though, Desaulniers outlasted the stubborn Talbott 18-14, 15-12, 15-5.

With John Havens sidelined with tendonitis in his elbow, John Stubbs moved up a notch to face Trinity's Page Lansdale. Stubbs suffered a brief lapse when he lost the second set but his 3-1 victory proved relatively painless.

George Bell continued to play predatory squash in humbling Scott Friedman 15-6, 15-8, 15-9. This year Bell has not only not lost a set, but he has also held his opponent to under ten points in every single game.

Mitch Reese barely knocked off Trinity's Rob Dudley in the afternoon's closest contest. Dudley took the first two sets but Reese clawed back, winning 15-8, 15-7, 15-9.

Normally Reese bamboozles opponents with his deft touch in negotiating the angles of Hemenway. Yesterday, however, the courts were hotter than usual and the heat produced a livelier, bouncier ball. Reese and the rest of the racquetmen therefore had difficulties in making finesse shots die off the side walls but they soon adjusted to the longer rallies.

The onslaught continued at number five, where Chuck Elliott finished off Peter DeRose, 3-1. Elliott dropped the third set 15-16 but closed out the match 15-12.

At the lower end of the ladder, John Fishwick, Jeff Secreast and John Heller all blanked the visitors from Hartford by 3-0 scores.

In recent years Trinity has shunned meeting the Crimson because of the inevitable result. This year, though, Trinity has a new coach who decided it might be a worthwhile learning experience for his team to venture into the forbidden den of Hemenway. Trinity might not want to return for another lesson.