Hide and Seek

CUE

By Brenda A. Russell

Seen a senior faculty member lately? The Committee on Undergraduate Education (CUE) may soon take steps to ensure that most students get at least a glimpse of the Faculty's luminaries. The committee will decide next week what to do with tutorial reforms proposed by Glen W. Bowersock '57, associate dean of the Faculty for undergraduate education and chairman of CUE.

The proposals include the establishment of a post-doctoral instructor position with extensive teaching duties, as well as a system designed to give seniors priority in receiving instruction from senior faculty members.

The present requirements say that teaching fellows may lead no more than 30 per cent of a department's tutorials and senior faculty must lead at least 30 per cent of the tutorials. However, a CUE study on tutorials in 1976-77 reveals that teaching fellows taught more than 95 per cent of the sophomore tutorials in the Economics, English, Government, History, and Psychology and Social Relations departments.

The proposal will go before the full Faculty for a vote, and so far it doesn't seem to have run into serious opposition. Tutorials in the five departments cited in the study are still headed by junior faculty though some departments are taking steps to draw in senior faculty.

If Bowerstock's proposals pass, students may well find a senior faculty member leading their next tutorial. As Richard J. Herrnstein, professor of Psychology, said recently, "It's time to re-capture the Faculty."