Group Scans Women's Role At Harvard

A newly established visiting committee will begin its assessment of the current educational and extracurricular opportunities available to women at Radcliffe at a meeting on Wednesday, Howard W. Johnson '39, a Radcliffe Trustee and the Committee chairman.

At their first meeting, the Visiting Committee on the Status and Role of Women as Undergraduates will discuss admissions, financial aid, and the level of involvement of women at Harvard, Johnson said.

There will be "too short a time for too great a job," he said.

What a Chance

The meeting will give Radcliffe students the chance to discuss their current status with members of the committee, Johnson added.

President Horner said yesterday the special visiting committee was "created to monitor the experiences of women here at Radcliffe." The idea for such a committee was proposed in the spring of 1977.

Committee members are appointed by Presidents Bok and Horner, and are "ultimately responsible to them," Johnson said.

A report on the activities of the meeting will be sent to President Bok, President Horner and the Board of Overseers.

Come One, Come All

Masters of houses, deans, and admissions and financial aid officials will represent the administration at the meeting, Dr. Susan Bailey, director of the Office of Institutional Policy Research on Women's Education at Harvard and Radcliffe, said yesterday.

Pleased

President Horner said she is "very pleased" with the work Johnson has done in preparation for Wednesday's meeting. She added that she thought the opportunity for individual students to speak with the committee is Johnson's most valuable contribution.

The meeting is open to all undergraduates, but Dr. Bailey said yesterday that the committee initially publicized the event through letters sent to a representative overview of female undergraduates in the houses and in various student groups.