Cagers' Upset Bid Fails to Materialize

Cracker Jack Fiction

By John Donley, Special to The Crimson

NEW YORK--The Harvard basketball team did not play Columbia here last night at the Lions' showcase arena, Levien Gym. In fact, the Crimson five got no farther than Elsie's Lunch yesterday, although no one at 60 Boylston St. bothered to tell me.

To make matters worse, I spent two hours digging out my Royal portable from a snow drift in my living room yesterday, then risked a $500 fine by driving pell-mell to South Station to catch the 6 o'clock Amtrak.

The contest would have been a classic shootout for second place in the Ivies, a roof-raising barnburner between the 4-2 Lions--led by tough guards Alton Byrd and Ricky Free--and the 3-2 Crimson, led by Brian Banks and guard Glenn Fine.

Except the Crimson didn't make it. I had to file a story, though, so I headed over to Levien where this old guy--I think he was the janitor--let me in. I headed for the press box phone to do some in-depth reporting.

In a telephone interview, the team manager said although the squad could not make the trip, some of the more dedicated players were shooting baskets at the Mather courts. Charlie Baker, who has seen limited action at forward so far this season, organized the snowy practice session, the manager said.

"The cross-country skis affect my vertical a little, and it's hard not to drag your feet when you stop," Baker said, "but I think our workout has really improved my set shot."

Frank Konstantynowicz and Fine, a couple of Crimson guards, kept in shape at Leverett House during the snowbreak, getting in a solid workout in the dining hall during the Leverett dance.

Back here at Columbia, a law school team called "The Public Defenders" defeated the Ferris Booth dormitory squad, 62-59, for the university's intramural championship at Levien Gym last night.

The janitor's turning off the lights, now, so I have to go. See you at Cornell tonight.