Libertarian Group Plans to Publish `Harvard Chronicle'

By Nancy A. Tentindo

The Harvard Libertarian Association, a group calling for fewer government controls of society, will publish the first issue of a new student newspaper, The Harvard Chronicle, on Tuesday, Grover G. Norquist '78, a member of the association, said yesterday.

The Chronicle will have straight news about Cambridge and the University on its front page and features and editorials written from the libertarian perspective on its inside pages, Norquist said.

The group's 15 founding members rechartered the association in November from a similar Harvard group called the Sons of Liberty.

The newspaper will come out if the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life approves it at a meeting Monday, Leda Cosmides '79, president of the association and the newspaper, said yesterday.

Cosmides said the group will try to publish the newspaper once every two weeks, but much depends on the support of the newspaper's advertisers.

The Chronicle will use the typesetting facilities of The Avenue Victor Hugo Bookstore and the printing equipment of The Revere Journal, Cosmides said.

"Libertarianism is a philosophy, in part a political philosophy, in which the only interactions between individuals that are moral are those which are freely contracted," Norquist said