Princeton Tops Yale, 65-56; Wins Ivy Championship--Again

By Mark D. Director

There have been four Ivy League Women's Basketball Tournaments but just one champion since its inception in 1975.

For the fourth consecutive year, Princeton claimed the Ivy Championship, taking the 1978 title yesterday afternoon with a 65-56 victory over Yale at the IAB. The topseeded Tigers eased into the championship of the two-day, snowplagued tournament with superior basketball and a real sense of authority.

With the win the Tigers proved once again that their women's basketball program is, at this stage in time, far ahead of the programs at the other Ivy schools. High-scoring forward C.B. Tomasiewicz, who led the way with 21 points against Yale, took home the tournament Most Valuable Player honors, while teammate Margaret Meier, who chipped in 20 yesterday, received a spot on the All-Tournament Team.

Batman and Robin

Joining Meier on the team were Yale's freshman sensation Lisa Brummel, Pennsylvania powerhouse Carol Kuna, and the Crimson dynamic duo of Wendy Carle and Caryn Curry.

Curry and Carle paced Harvard yesterday in the consolation final against Penn, leading the Crimson to a 72-67 win that gave Harvard third place in the tournament. Curry tallied a team-high 22 points and 6 assists while Carle pumped in 21 points. Sophomore Leslie Greis, who burned Penn in Saturday night's opener with a 26-point performance, also added 22 points, going 10-13 from the foul line.

Late Surge

Penn's Carol Kuna continued her tournament-long scoring tear putting in a game-high 28 points to keep the Quakers in the game. A strong Harvard comeback late in the first half gave the Crimson a 35-30 halftime lead after Penn had dominated the early going.

The five-point margin was all Harvard needed to win as the team played to a stalemate in the second half with each team scoring 37 points.

In the championship game, Yale, led by Brummel's 17 points, kept even through the first half, taking a slim 29-28 lead at the half. But the Tigers came on in the second half, and after Brummel and Sue Malone fouled out late in the game, Princeton stepped up their pace and dominated the finish, coasting into the title.

Yale threatened once late in the game, closing to 53-52 with three minutes remaining, but Tomasiewicz and the Tigers quickly extinguished any Eli flame with some blistering outside shots.

In the contest for fifth place, Brown blasted Dartmouth, walking away with a 54-39 romp. Guard Lynn Johnson led the Bruins with 25 points.