James B. Conant 1893-1978

THE DEATH OF James Bryant Conant '14 last week marks the passing of one of the great figures of Harvard history. His roles as educator, scientist and diplomat combined to create an influence virtually unsurpassed by others of his generation.

Harvard presidents can be roughly divided into two categories: those who routinely go about their business, fund-raising and administering the university on a day-to-day basis, and those whose spark of genius makes them major educational forces on a national and international stage. Conant was clearly of the latter kind. The impact of his contributions towards higher and secondary education are unmatched by any present-day educational leader.

Discussions presently underway at Harvard on the core curriculum, for instance, are an outgrowth of Conant's seminal understanding of the need for a general education. The 1945 report "General Education in a Free Society," sponsored by Conant, led to the introduction of general education programs at Harvard and elsewhere.

His establishment of uniform standards for tenure selection and institution of scholarships for out-of-state high school graduates were also copied at other universities. The national scholarship program was of particular importance. It turned Harvard from a regional college for sons of the rich into an internationally-respected institution of higher learning open--more or less--to those qualified to attend, regardless of background. The impact of Harvard's move to a more meritocratic selection process had on budding scientists, humanists and professionals is incalculable.

Conant's other contributions were equally impressive. He was a chemist of some note and during his tenure as Harvard president served as a science advisor to the government, working on the atomic bomb project. In 1953 he resigned as Harvard president to become High Commissioner to the German Republic, and shortly thereafter took over as our first post-war ambassador to that country. During his later years, Conant was to have a profound influence on public-school education, publishing a series of recommendations that have affected the direction it has taken.

On his desk sat a cartoon with the inscription: "Behold the turtle, He makes progress only when his neck is stuck out." Conant was able to follow that advice in a way that should prove inspirational to today's educators, who without exception continue to lie in his imposing shadow.