Track Facility Opens Officially With Meet and Alumni Reunion

By Brenda A. Russell

The "Big Three" track meet, an annual event held last Saturday pitted Harvard, Princeton and Yale against each other in the official opening of the new Soldiers Field Track and Tennis Hall.

President Bok, Albert H. Gordon '23, general chairman of the program for athletic facilities, and John P. Reardon, Jr. '60, director of athletics, all spoke at the dedication ceremony. John L. Thorndike '49, chairman of Friends of Harvard Track, presided over the event.

In his opening remarks, Thorndike thanked Princeton and Yale for agreeing to move the meet from Princeton to Harvard this year for the dedication.

"It seems appropriate to open the track officially with our two friendliest track rivals of many years," he added. The track has been unofficially open for team and recreational use since last September.

Alumni From The Alps

The dedication festivities that included the first annual track alumni reunion, gathered over 400 alumni from as far away as Switzerland and Los Angeles. Thorndike said yesterday.

"The dedication of a new facility, reunion of old track team members, the newness of the facility plus the fact that Princeton creamed us last year made us give it our best shot," he added. Harvard won the event with 82 points, followed by Princeton with 62 and Yale at 26.